Quality vs. Cost
Dental Implant Costs
Things You Must Know
One of the first questions that we are usually asked regarding dental implants is, “How much does a dental implant cost?”
Before we can answer this we need to know a few things that can all impact the final cost:
- What type of implant do you need?
- Do you need bone grafting (augmentation)?
- Do you need a 3D Cone Beam CT scan?
- Do you want a computer-guided minimally invasive implant placement or traditional surgery?
- Do you need any extractions?
- Is it a single or multiple implants?
- Is there bite correction needed?
- What type of restoration will be going on the implant or implants? Porcelain? Zirconia? Acrylic?
Another factor to keep in mind…
- A Dental Implant is the titanium portion that is placed into the bone to form the “artificial root” of the tooth. The implant still needs the Abutment (connector) and Implant Crown to complete the restoration of the dental implant.
Sometimes, the quoted cost of a dental implant can include just the ‘artificial root” portion and at other times it can include the entire restoration i.e. Dental implant, abutment and implant crown, so if you are comparing costs, you have to be sure that you are comparing apples with apples.
Considering all of these factors, you can see that it would be quite difficult to determine the cost of “a dental implant” without understanding your needs.
If you are looking for a full arch solution (replacing all upper or all lower teeth), then asking how much a dental implant costs is like shopping for a car by asking “How much does a wheel cost?” I.e. A dental implant is only one component of the final solution.
The final fee is dependent on many factors.
- Method of placement (computer guided vs incision and flap)
- Number of implants used
Type of bone that the implant is to be placed into
- Type of final restoration ( Zirconia/Porcelain, vs Acrylic)
- Whether bite correction needed to improve your chewing ability while giving you a nicer smile and improved facial proportions
Dental Implant Costs
- Where is the implant made?What is the reputation of the implant manufacturer? (Many of the cheaper implants are manufactured in countries like China, Korea or with very questionable quality control measures).
- What research is there to support this type of implant?
- Are there long term studies showing the success rates of these implants?
- How much time will I need to be off work?
- Do I have to visit multiple locations for various parts of this procedure?
- How much pain or discomfort can I expect?
- How is the implant placed, open surgery or without cutting the gums open (computer-guided)?
- Is the bone cut away or built up?
- Will I have to have stitches?
- What kind to temporary tooth will I be wearing (if necessary)?
- How many visits do you need to have the procedure completed?
- How long will it take to recover from the procedure?